December 10, 2007

Live CD, DVD on USB sticks

Using Live CD's and DVD's is a often a nice way to test out new Linux distributions.
No need to install, and usually, the kernel supports a wide range of hardware by default.
The only downside as I see it, is that it can take a few minutes to boot up. But compared to what it takes to install, those minutes are very neglictable. I remember downloading and using Knoppix Linux live CD ( http://www.knoppix.net ) as early as 2003, but I guess the first one where sometime around 2001.

Today, there is almost no Linux distrbution that you can not get as a "Live" version on either CD or DVD.

As the price on USB memories are closing in to the price of CD-R's and DVD-R's, I expect to see Linux Magazines and other Linux media bundle Linux distros and software on USB memory sticks, attached to the magazines. Especially since most of the new bios:es supports booting from USB media.

I can imagine to my pile of CD's and DVD's getting replaced by USB memory s ticks and flash drives in the very near future.

Happy hacking!